Fáskrúðsfjörður, (Búðir) (pop. 662) a village on a rather long fjord of the same name which has a valley at the head with many wooded areas, the largest at Gestsstaðir, where wild aspen is found. Became part of Fjarðabyggð in 2006. Fishing and fish processing. Trading started ca. 1890. Formerly a base for French fishermen, who had their own hospital, chapel and cemetery. These beautiful old buildings will open in May 2014 after careful restoration as an exclusive hotel and museum dedicated to the French heritage of Fáskrúðsfjörður. Until then you can learn aobut the local French history at the Frenchmen in Iceland Museum. The French used a big rock, which can still be seen in the village, as a bearing for landward sailing. They painted a black cross on it, and joined in prayer there before sailing out to sea. A memorial to Carl D. Tulinius, a merchant, Berg Hallgrímsson, a businessman and Dr. Charcot. Skrúður Community centre. A “French Days” festival is held in the last weekend in July each summer in Fáskrúðsfjörður. During this festival 1999, Foreign Minister Halldór Ásgrímsson unveiled a reproduction of Einar Jónsson´s bust of Dr. Charcot. The Icelandic government donated the bust to commemorate relations between Fáskrúðsfjörður and France. A swimming pool, camping grounds and a 9 hole golfcourse are located just outside the village.