Víðidalstunga, a substantial farm since early times and a church, built on the tongue of land between the rivers Fitjaá and Víðidalsá. From the 15th century until about 1900 it was the seat of the Vídalín family, one of whom was Páll Jónsson Vídalín (1667–1727) judge, poet and schoolmaster. Also, together with Árni Magnússon, professor and manuscript collector, the author of Jarðabók Árna Magnússonar og Páls Vídalín (a farm register). Páll was also an enterprising farmer who cultivated large fields that are still discernible. Flateyjarbók, the largest extant old Icelandic manuscript, was written there at the request of the farmer Jón Hákonarson.