Flatey, the most notable of all the islands in Breiðafjörður. An official trading place since 1777.
A monastery erected there in 1172 was later moved to Helgafell.
In the early 19th century Flatey was in the forefront of progress and culture in Iceland.
There is a church there with a fresco by the contemporary painter Baltasar.
Old houses are well preserved on the island, which is now a popular tourist attraction.
The famous manuscript Flateyjarbók takes its name from the island.