Blönduós, (pop. 813) a town at the mouth of the river Blanda, built on both sides of the river. A harbour and trading post since 1875. Industry connected with agriculture, trading and transport services. District judge, hospital, hotel, guesthouse, campsite, swimming pool, community centre, restaurant, café, the Textile Museum and the Sea Ice Exhibition Centre. Forestry research on Hrútey, an island in the river just east of town which is also a public park. Good salmon–fishing.