Munkaþverá, (“Þverá of the monks”) has always been one of the most important substantial farms of the district. Church. The home, in Saga times, of Víga–Glúmur and a little later of Einar Eyjólfsson Þveræingur (“Of Þverá”), who probably built the first church there. According to Ólafs saga helga in Heims­kringla Einar protested when his brother Guðmundur ríki (“the rich”) of Möðruvellir suggested King Ólafur be given the island Grímsey, as he requested. Einar pointed out that the king could support a whole army on Grímsey from where he might then invade and conquer Iceland. His arguments were accepted and the idea was dropped. A monastery founded in 1155 remained there till the Reformation in 1550, after which Munkaþverá was long a residence of sheriffs and magistrates. The Vitaðsgjafi field there never lay fallow. In the churchyard is the Sturlungareitur (“Plot of the Sturlungas”), probably the grave of Sighvatur Sturluson and his sons, who fell in battle at Örlygsstaðir in Skagafjörður. Memorial to the last Catholic bishop Jón Arason, who studied in the monastery.