Þorlákshöfn, a young but rapidly growing village, named after Iceland’s only saint, St. Þorlákur, Bishop of Skálholt (1133-1193). For those who want to get to know the history of this old fishing village there is a path, guided with signs, through some of the town’s sites of interest. The town library and folk museum is situated in the town hall, where there is an exhibition of stuffed fish and sea animals and a small gallery.
Þorlákshöfn is one of many icelandic communities that owes its present existance to soil conservation work. The area was threatened by drift sand and sandstorms, and an 7500 ha area around Þorlákshöfn was fenced off in 1935. Initiating extensive soil conservation and restoration work that is still ongoing today.
Þorlákshöfn is also a great place for surfing both for beginners and more advanced surfers.