Skriðuklaustur, a substantial farm for centuries, site of a monastery from 1493 until the Reformation, then a church till 1792. In 1939 the author Gunnar Gunnarsson settled at Skriðuklaustur and built a large, unusual house, which he later presented to the Icelandic nation. A centre of culture and history, run by the Institute of Gunnar Gunnarsson, with various cultural activities and access to the ruins of the monastery.
In 2010 the Snæfell Visitor Centre for the east territory of Vatnajökull National Park was opened at Skriðuklaustur. The centre has an interesting exhibition on the area and the nature and a souvenir shop that focuses on locally produced products. See information on Vatnajökull National Park.