Kvísker, the easternmost farm in the Öræfi district, formerly very important for travellers seeking guidance across the sands and treacherous big rivers. Beautiful view and good sheep–farming country. Glaucous dog–rose (Rosa dumalis) (glitrós) found in the birch bushes nearby and nowhere else in Iceland. The first ascent of Öræfajökull was made from Kvísker in 1794 by Sveinn Pálsson. Home of the so–called “Kvísker brothers” Flosi (1906–1993), Hálfdan and Sigurður Björnsson, self–taught naturalists of great erudition.